Tuesday, August 7, 2012

First week of August


While its been 2 weeks since my last inspection, I just wasn't feeling up to tearing into the hives.  My party drained me and its taking a bit to bounce back.  Also cleanup is much less fun than the party.  I did walk by and see plenty of activity from the hives so I wan't incredibly worried.  Also to make me feel alot better Swarm 1 made me feel incredibly encouraged.  Take a look at who's returning from her mating flight, she missed the door but at least I know this swarm has a queen, now to wait and see if she's well mated or if they supersede her.





I did watch her for about 20 minutes and she finally decided she'd had enough hanging around and high tailed it indoors.  For as big as she is she can really move, I tried to get photos of her moving inside but when she decided it was time to go bam she was off and before I could get her in focus she was inside.

On the 8th I'll do a full inspection of all 3 hives and the 2 nucs with photos of each.  Plus that'll give me some time to get the hardware put together and painted.

1 comment:

  1. When you are taking care of bees, being able to protect yourself from their stings is crucial to working in comfort and with great efficiency. A beekeeper suit, often just called a bee suit, is the best way to protect your body from the bees from head to toe when you are working in the hives or collecting the honey. Bee suits are made from premium material that is breathable but strong enough to put a barrier between the bees and you, and premium beekeeper suits are what you’ll find here in this category. We offer premium bee suits designed to protect not just the body but also the face with the inclusion of collapsible and removable fencing or round veils for you to work with. Our bee suits come with durable double-stitched pockets that allow you to carry tools and keep them within easy reach. What makes our suits the most unique perhaps is that they come in soft colors like white and yellow among others. The soft colors of each different bee suit are calming to the bees and will help stop them from getting riled up when you go into their hive to do your necessary beekeeping work.

    ReplyDelete