Sunday, May 6, 2012

Keeping out of the Hive

I managed to stay out of the hive this weekend other than the 3 or 4 minutes it took me to fix the frame layout.  I would have liked to have gotten some pictures of the progress but I was on a mission to keep my invasion to a minimum.  I slid the frames around so its the frame feeder, 2 empty, 4 from the nuc, followed by 2 empty.  Since it didn't require pulling any of the nuc frames I didn't get to inspect too much.  I did see the bee's in the foundation hive have started drawing a bit of comb, and the foundation-less hive was festooning so tomorrow when my mentor arrives I'll hopefully have some shots of the newly drawn comb.

Since I wasn't supposed to be pestering my bee's this weekend I decided to try and landscape to help them.  I planted the coneflower's I started this winter and the black eyed susan's.  I've got lupine's, red hot pokers, more coneflower's, poppies and some bee balm all started in the green house.  24 of each type of plant which seems a bit excessive but my house has been flowerless for 2 years and I mean to remedy it this year.  I know the bee's will be traveling and will probably only briefly visit my flowers which I mainly started to bring in the hummingbirds I think it'll be good for both.

I have come to the conclusion this hobby will be another addiction like my saltwater tank addiction, I'm going to be torn as to which gets more money.

No comments:

Post a Comment